Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Weight Gain & Vision Loss: A Web Site is Born

As I reported earlier this spring, I haven't blogged much because of all the hours we were putting into the development of our new web site: http://cumberlandcountylibraries.org.

And, yes, the headline is true. Because of all the time I invested in the new web site, I've gained weight and had to get a new pair of glasses. (Perhaps the glasses aren't directly related, but it certainly felt that way!)

But, complaining aside, I have to report that I'm very, very excited about our new site -- both its new look and its functionality are light years beyond where we were with our old site. Plus, all of its features haven't been added yet. (For example, we expect to add the ability to pay fines and fees online this summer.)

In our initial testing with real users earlier this spring, comments were very favorable. But, we can always learn more from real people using it day in and day out.

The site should be live by the end of this week. Right now we are waiting for our new site to 'propagate' across the web. (Kind of puts me in mind of the old Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles".) Anyway, let me know your thoughts as you get your first look.

Our staff here have spent a lot of long hours trying to get it right for you. And, we hope it is!


0 comments: