Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Best Books of Millennium?

I discovered a new blog today, The Millions. It's been around since 2003 and covers books, arts and culture.

What brought it to my attention was a survey they are doing that asks "What are the best fiction books of the millennium, so far?".

They have a top 20 list from professional writers and a list from readers of The Millions.

Well naturally, I compared what would be my own picks and pans. And, I couldn't believe what appeared at the top of the list: Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections. What is it about this book that appeals to people? I thought it was absolutely awful. Does it only appeal to New Yorkers? (That's my suspicion, anyway.) Can someone enlighten me?

Anyway, I liked some of the other picks, most notably:
  • #20:Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
  • #16:Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • #14:Atonement by Ian McEwan

However I was amazed at how many I haven't read. But, more importantly, what books were missed? One that I'd suggest is:
  • Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

0 comments: