Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Newbery Award Winner: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

This past weekend I visited one of my favorite bookstores, The Whistlestop in Carlisle.

I always enjoy asking the owner, Jeff Wood, what he is reading. He highly recommended Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. The story is the tale of a baby who narrowly escapes being murdered along with the rest of his family. The child, Nobody Owens, somehow makes his way into a graveyard and is raised by the resident ghosts who protect him from an ancient league of assassins who are after him.

Jeff said that the story was a wonderful mix of fantasy, history and even humor. He also remarked that the author, Neil Gaiman, is one of the best writers around, and would appeal to all ages. Naturally, I bought a copy.

So, imagine my delight this morning when I learned that the American Library Association announced that its 2009 Newbery Medal winner is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Dave McKean, and published by HarperCollins Children's Books.

Thanks for the great recommendation Jeff!

0 comments: