Friday, July 25, 2008

Water for Elephants -- Late in Finding a Gem!


Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen has been on my bedside table for at least 2 years when I received a copy at Book Expo in New York City. A number of people highly recommended it to me, but I just never got to it.

This past week I did...and what an original story!

Ninety-two (or ninty-three) year-old Jacob Jankowski remembers his time as a young man in the circus during the Great Depression, and his friendship with Marlena, the equestrian star, Rosie, the elephant, and Walter, the dwarf.

While some of it was a little tough to read at times (some violent treatment of animals and people), I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book too. The characters are endearing, the setting interesting, the hsstoric detail vivid. It continues to be a best-seller through word-of-mouth and I'm also one of those passing it along to anyone wanting a good read. If you like "Seabiscuit" this would have a lot of appeal. Cathi Alloway, Dauphin County Library System

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, and Yes!! What a compelling look at the circus industry in the years when there were many smaller traveling circuses.