Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rules for Reading & Starting a Blog

Starting a blog may be a bit like starting a new book. You don't know if you are going to like it, but it seems interesting and you want to give it a try.

For most of my life, I've used a rule that my Grandmother gave me about choosing books to read. It was called the 100-page rule. If you get to page 100 of a book, and it hasn't caught your interest, stop reading. There are too many good books out there to waste your time with one that you don't like.

Now, as I've gotten older, my rule has shortened to the 50-page rule...you get the idea. Well today, I've learned of two new rules for reading. One called the "Page 69 Test" that is attributed to Marshall McLuhan. As reported by The Guardian on August 12, 2006, McLuhan recommended that "the browser turn to page 69 of any book and read it. If you like that page, buy the book." (I would amend that to say borrow the book!)

A quick browse of the Internet turned up another similar rule based on reading page 99. There are also a number of worthwhile blogs out there that recommend books and use one of these rules as a guideline:

All of this is to say, that like a new book, I'm starting a new blog. I don't know if I will like it or now, or if you will either. I can't even promise that I'll make it to 100 posts or even 50, but I'm giving it a whirl!

I hope to appeal and interest those who love libraries (especially those in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania), love books and all things related, and are interested in trying to keep up with technology.

Let's see what happens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you wild and crazy librarian blogger...I'll try the 69,99 rules and see how they work.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Texting and blogging all within two weeks. Grandma would be proud!

Anonymous said...

I am more of a "skim" the book if it hasn't caught my attention by page 69...or 99...or 100. There have only been a few that I have read that I have chosen to do that with, so I guess I like MOST books.

Anonymous said...

I guess family is a good reason to start reading blogs! If my attention has not been caught by page 69 or 99 or 100...I skim the rest of the book, and read the last chapter...but that is just an "old retired teacher "thing! Other comment is on target: GRANDMA WOULD BE PROUD!!

Anonymous said...

An honorable effort! Shall be fun to follow.